Natural Treatment of Hemorrhoids
Is There a Natural Treatment of Hemorrhoids?
What are Hemorrhoids?
Before discussing the natural treatment of hemorrhoids, we will first talk about what a hemorrhoid is and why we have them.
Hemorrhoids are varicose veins that form in the lower portion of the rectum or anal area. They can form internally or externally.
Hemorrhoids can be very uncomfortable. Those who have them experience pain, itching, burning, and/or bleeding, and discomfort during bowel movements. One person described the pain as a "burning needle," or "sitting on a cactus."
Hemorrhoids can be caused by all of the things we mentioned on our page on varicose veins. These include:
- Age. Mayo Clinic gives the statistic of 50% of adults over 50 as having hemorrhoids.
- Pregnancy and childbirth.
- Chronic constipation is another cause of varicose veins in the anal area. Constipation can lead to excessive straining with the resultant elevated venous pressure during defecation.
- Anal infections and other diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver can also cause hemorrhoids.
- Scratching. There is a strong tendency to scratch the hemorrhoids but this, of course, only aggravates the condition and causes bleeding.
The Natural Treatment of Hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoid relief can actually be achieved in a variety of ways. Depending on how creative you are feeling it actually can be quite fun.
- Rub hemorrhoid ointment on the area. (Make your own.)
- Use suppositories. (Make your own.)
- Use witch hazel pads. Witch hazel is an astringent and causes tissues to shrink. Simply purchase a bottle of witch hazel distillate and some 100% cotton rounds (used for cosmetics). Place some rounds in a small bottle and pour witch hazel over them. Use when needed. This treatment of hemorrhoids is simple and very effective.
- Keep the area clean by bathing often. If soap aggravates the condition don't use it. You can blow dry the area after bathing to minimize irritating moisture.
- Do a sitz bath. This is done by sitting in very warm water for 10 to 15 minutes. An astringent herbal infusion can be added to the water to help heal and to shrink the tissues. A sitz bath that fits on the toilet can be purchased at medical supplies, or just sit in the tub.
- A great sitz bath is to go from very warm water to ice water, alternating back and forth, three or four times. Do this by placing two large round plastic tubs in your tub or shower. Fill one with very warm water (including the astringent herbal infusion) and the other with plain ice water. Sit in one for a few minutes, then in the other. Do this 3 - 4 times.Be sure to use a skid resistant towel or bath mat to prevent slipping or falls.
- Another treatment of hemorrhoids using heat and cold, is to apply ice packs to help reduce the swelling. Use them for 10 to 15 minutes, then follow with moist heat for 5 or 10 minutes. A bag you warm in the microwave or a hotwater bottle, works well. Repeat this several times.
- An herbal steam is very healing. For this treatment of hemorrhoids you need a toilet seat! You can use one you already have or purchase a new one - to these you need to build strong legs which will hold you when you sit on it. You can also purchase camping toilets which are open underneath or that have a large plastic bucket which it attaches too. I like this best.
- You make an herbal steam just the way you would for inhaling when you have a cold. You put a large pot of water on the stove and bring it to boiling. You then remove it from the heat and add herbs or essential oil and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes. Place this pot under the throne you have created and sit, bare bottomed, over it. Place a large towel or small blanket over your legs to hold the steam in (and for modesty) and read a good book or watch TV while the steam works it magic.
- Wear cotton underclothing that is loose. It would also be wise to avoid wearing tight pants over the loose underclothing.
- Use soft toilet paper that does not contain perfume or avoid it altogether and wipe with moist towelettes. Be sure they are soft and the kind that can be flushed.
- Do not sit for long periods of time. Get up and walk around. If you have to sit, sit on a pillow.
- Do not sit on a donut ring. It will restrict the blood flow and may make your symptoms worse.
- Do not scratch.
These things are all important, and can make a lot of difference in the way you feel. Go to the following pages to discover many more ways to help your problem. Here wishing you the best!
Visit our other pages for more ideas and ways for treatment of hemorrhoids, as well as herbal remedies and recipes you can use at home.
"Varicose Veins and Hemorrhoids Herbal Treatment,"
Natural Treatment of Hemorrhoids
Natural Hemorrhoid Relief
Treating Varicose Veins
Make Your Own Suppository
Return from Natural Treatment of Hemorrhoids to Namas Natural Remedies home page